One of our most popular courses, this first aid refresher course teaches the skills and knowledge to recognise emergencies and provide immediate and effective first aid treatment to any person suffering a sudden illness or injury.
The course covers assessing the casualty, providing safety, accessing emergency services, and using resources to provide first aid, such as providing CPR and using a defibrillator, administering an autoinjector for anaphylaxis, administering asthma medication, assisting someone choking, using appropriate immobilisation techniques for envenomation, fractures, dislocations, sprains and strains, managing casualties with non-life-threatening bleeding and shock.
This course is suitable for anyone who is looking to refresh their Provide First Aid (HTLTAID003) or Senior First Aid Certificate.
The delivery mode for this course is a combination of online learning, followed by face to face assessment. The online component takes approximately 3 hours and the face to face assessment 2 hours. Please note that all of the online learning must be completed prior to the face to face practical assessment.
For further information please click on Course delivery mode and assessment Information tab.
Training and assessment delivered on behalf of Allens Training Pty Ltd RTO 90909.
Course Delivery Mode: Online learning followed by face to face assessment
This self-paced online component takes around 3-4 hours to complete, depending on your level of experience. It covers the theory components of the course through a series of video and online theory questions. You may choose to complete this during one or a number of sessions. You can also review the online theory after the course if you wish. We recommend that this component be completed using Google Chrome.
Please be aware that the online component must be completed prior to attending the face to assessment.
Face to Face Assessment
This part of the course will take around 2 hours to complete. During this time you will cover the following assessment areas
- Perform CPR on an adult (incl. the use of an AED and placing a casualty into the recovery position).
- Complete a first aid incident report form based on the adult CPR simulated first aid scenario.
- Perform CPR on an infant.
- Manage a casualty with anaphylaxis.
- Manage a casualty with asthma.
- Manage a choking casualty.
- Manage a casualty with non-life-threatening bleeding and shock, requiring minor wound cleaning.
- Manage a casualty with a nosebleed.
- Manage a casualty with a fracture and dislocation.
- Manage a casualty with a sprain and strain.
- Manage a casualty with envenomation (snake/ funnel-web spider bite).
- Simulated First Aid Scenario – Manage a casualty with a life-threatening bleed.
- Complete a first aid incident report form based on the life-threatening bleed first aid scenario
- Coordinate a multiple casualty incident.
Participants must have the physical capacity to perform the practical demonstrations, such as 2 minutes of uninterrupted CPR on the floor.
Pre-course study: Students may be required to undertake online pre-course work prior to attending the face to face session depending on the course delivery mode.
Online study: Students must have access to a computer, smartphone, tablet or other electronic devices with access to the internet to complete the online/ pre-course studies.
From 1st January 2015, it is a government requirement to have a Unique Student Identifier Number (USI) for all nationally recognised courses that you attend.
It is free and easy for you to create your own USI online.
Click below for assistance and information on how to obtain your USI.
Students who successfully complete this nationally recognised training will be awarded the statement of attainment:
- HLTAID009 – Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- HLTAID010 – Provide basic emergency life support.
- HLTAID011 – Provide First Aid.
It is recommended that the First Aid Component be renewed every 3 years, in line with industry standards.
It is recommended that the CPR Componenent be renewed every 12 months, inline with Australian Resusitation guidelines.
This Certificate is issued by our Training Partner, Allens Training Pty Ltd RTO #90909
In response to COVID-19, we have implemented the following changes to our courses:
- Implemented an online learning component for some of our First Aid and selected healthcare courses, reducing the contact time for classes.
- Class sizes have been reduced to a maximum of 12 people to ensure adequate social distancing is maintained.
- Bag Valves Masks are used in substitution for rescue breaths during CPR training.
- Each student has their own equipment.
- Students are required to wash their hands at the start of the course and use disposable gloves throughout.
- Each student wipes down equipment using disposable disinfectant wipes.
- Manikins are cleaned by the staff at the end of each session.
On arrival at the centre:
- Students are requested to use hand gel on entry.
- Register on the Safe WA app or complete the register located at reception.
- Sign-in for a course is done using a tablet.
- No one is permitted to be in the centre until 10 minutes prior to a course.
To ensure you can successfully complete your practical training we ask the following:
- Arrive 10 minutes prior to the course start time. (Please note that if you arrive late you will not be able to attend the course.)
- Wearing appropriate attire.
- Including enclosed shoes, pants and shirt.
- Verify your USI.
- Achieve 100% completion of the online learning material.
- Provide photo ID upon entry.
- Register on the COVID-19 Contract Registry.
If the student does not meet the above requirements, they will be unable to attend there practical training.
We understand there are times when you may need to make a change to your booking. If this is the case please get in touch with us via email, email@example.com
For all requested booking changes, more than 48hrs (2 business days) prior to a course, no rebooking fee will apply. If the request is less than 48hrs (2 days) prior to a course no changes, including refund requests can be made.
All requested changes to a booking must be made in writing.
In the event of a cancellation request by a customer, a voucher will be issued to the value of the amount paid. This voucher can be used to book any future courses with us.